Textiles Skills Workshop with
Nikki Parmenter(Textile Artist)
DATE: Tuesday 05 November – BOOK HERE
Venue: Falinge Park High School | Falinge Road | Rochdale OL12 6LD
TIMES: 9:30 – 15:30
A New Workshop lead by Nikki Parmenter Developed for Teachers of Art & Design GCSE/A Level Textiles.
We are thrilled to have textile artist Nikki Parmenter, join us to lead this first in a series of workshops. Nikki brings her experience both as an artist and textiles teacher, developing this inspiring new course especially for both teachers who are new to the Art Textiles GCSE specification and those who wish to experiment more widely with a variety of new techniques, processes and contexts. It will provide links to specific visual art examples and will explore a range of interpretations, providing the opportunity to develop ideas through the use of media, materials, techniques and processes.
The course will investigate the theme of ‘Underwater’, looking at both primary and secondary sources. There will be a strong emphasis on linking the activities to the work of related artists including Matisse, Haeckel, Hockney and Hokusai, thus covering a range of times and cultures. In addition the environmental theme of ‘Pollution’ will be a major aspect of the course, adding a contemporary element which provides scope for students to link their insights and observations to the development of their project.
You will cover a range of activities which will be suitable for students of all abilities and will suggest final outcomes which will be achievable for those of varying skill levels.
This course is aimed at Textile and Art teachers who are either new to teaching GCSE/A Level Art & Design or those who want to develop exciting new ideas for techniques linked to artists, designers and craftspeople.
What to expect on the day:
- You will be required to bring some source materials based on the theme of ‘Underwater’ with you
- Samples of my work will be explained, including my inspirations and working methods.
- Experiment with a range of media and techniques which will broaden your knowledge and experience
- Work to a theme using resources provided, including links to other visual art forms.
- Explore a range of outcomes such a wall hanging or 3D piece
- You will experiment with the following materials: fabric manipulation, free machine embroidery, heat techniques using fabric and plastics, entrapment, painting
- Bring together a range of disparate materials in order to create a coherent piece
- Experiment with the technique of “drawing” with a free machine embroidery foot
- Try innovative ways of displaying the final outcome in a 2D or 3D format
- You will create a finished sampler on the theme of “Underwater.”
- You will be confident in delivering these techniques to students of all ability levels.
- Exciting and achievable ideas to enhance your teaching
- Develop best practices in teaching and learning and be able to use these to create a dynamic course that is fast paced and engaging.
- An awareness of available resources to support/expand your existing practice.
- Continued professional development.
- Learn and practice new and exciting skills that will enhance your teaching
Links to KS4 Art & design Specifications: ‘students will be able to contextualise their research and ideas, drawing inspiration from artists and designers. Students will also evaluate the art, craft and design they study, and develop an appreciation of the impact it has on their own work and that of others.’
Falinge Park High School