Fashion Outcomes Workshop
DATE: Saturday 20th November 2021 – BOOK HERE
Venue: Milton Keynes Academy, Leadenhall, Milton Keynes MK6 5LB
TIMES: 9:30 – 15:30
Course Fee: £225 + Eventbrite Fees (Includes Pattern Pack)
£195 + Eventbrite Fees (without Pattern Pack)
This course includes 7 ‘student friendly’ patterns that can adapt to make up to 18 different garments!
Discover how both your male & female GCSE students can design and make exciting & innovative garments that can be easily and independently assembled and link to their theme, artists & techniques. You will be given your own set of patterns to make your own set of Fashion Patterns and Toiles.
This is an exciting face-to-face, totally practical day, where you will start to make your own set of patterns and toiles that can be used in the classroom by students of GCSE Textiles.
We will also be looking at fashion illustration linked to the patterns, fashion designers for inspiration, how to adapt the patterns to create 18 garments and how your students can adapt the patterns to suit their theme and techniques, a practical workshop adding a variety of techniques to the toiles, looking at lots of exemplar outcomes by theme and product, looking at the sustained focus/supervised time, schemes of work and much more. All templates and guides will be available to download.
What to expect on the day:
- Learn and practice new and exciting pattern adaptation skills that will enhance your teaching an enable students to design and make their own personal patterns to create exciting garments that link to their theme and techniques.
- Develop learning from KS3, creating independent, confident and enthusiastic learners at KS4/5.
- Cut out and make at least one toile and learn how to do the others, using student friendly methods.
- Learn how to adapt a skirt pattern to create a variety of exciting visual garments
- Looking at practical solutions to create innovative fashion illustrations for GCSE outcomes that link students’ themes to your toiles
- How to use a variety of surface and constructed techniques to adapt the outcomes: a practical workshop.
- Looking at a variety of student exemplar outcomes by theme
- Looking at the sustained focus/supervised time, creating independent and confident working students.
Patterns included in the Pattern Pack:
- Basic skirt
- Kimono style top (adapt for jacket & coat)
- Sleeveless top (adapt to make sleeveless shift dress & waistcoat)
- Corset (adapt for paneled dress)
- Shorts: (can be extended to trousers)
- T shirt (adapt to make a dress, jacket or coat)
- Raglan sleeve jacket (adapt to make a top or coat)
Also included on this course:
- All step-by-step guides and templates
- Lesson plans for KS3 and pre GCSE and GCSE students that link to fabric research, pattern making and adaptation, working in 3D & fashion illustration
- Lots of exemplar sketchbooks and design development and practical strategies to create a higher challenge classroom.
- Guidance and info on other resources that could support your teaching
Links to KS4 Art & design Specifications:
Understanding ASSESSMENT OBJECTIVE 4 Present, so that students can create a ‘personal and meaningful response that realises intentions’
Present: ‘a personal, informed and meaningful response demonstrating analytical and critical understanding, realising intentions and where appropriate, making connections between visual, written, oral or other elements.’
‘Produces skilful, personal outcomes Showing consistent application, knowledge and understanding. Effective and diverse connections are made in realising intentions.’
‘Intentions are fully realised through personal outcomes, demonstrating original, imaginative, inventive and exciting qualities, with highly appropriate connections between elements.’
What is special about the Fashion Outcomes workshop?
The Fashion Outcomes face-to-face course is an experience that delivers textiles skills, knowledge and understanding. It is a great learning environment which allows you to gain new skills and techniques and develop classroom resources, showing how these can be incorporated in lesson plans and delivered in a fun, inspiring and engaging way. You can ask questions direct to the course developer/leader, practice new skills and network with other teachers.
What you take back to school:
- A set of student friendly patterns to make up 18 different garments
- Great, achievable ideas to enhance your teaching.
- Ways to create independent and successful students.
- Develop best practices in teaching and learning and be able to use these to create a dynamic course that is fast paced and engaging.
- An awareness of available resources to support/expand your existing practice.
- Make secure decisions and save time with gained knowledge and experience.
- Plan the future with confidence.
- Continued professional development.
“Textile candidates’ personal portfolios were brimming with ideas, experiments and references to textile and fashion designers as well as fine artists. Overall, the submission was exceptional in the engagement and industry and imaginative use of materials.’
“In Textiles, the standard of the work was outstanding…….The course structure was strong. Finished pieces were often exciting and innovative. The individuality of the candidates was clearly seen in the diversity of colours, styles and techniques carefully annotated in work books and then displayed in the final outcomes.”
“The course gave candidates a very strong framework on which to build a response to the theme. Ideas were developed showing depth and thought so that the work of the highest achieving candidates was original, creative and in-depth.”
COSTS & BOOKING VIA EVENTBRITE: £ 225/ DAY BOOK HERE
All of the Textile Skills Centre events are ticket only and payable IN ADVANCE. The Textiles Skills Centre uses Eventbrite to automate the bookings via credit card and cheque/BACS. When you book you will receive by email a booking confirmation and ticket. If you need an invoice sent to school please email us to request one..
PLEASE NOTE your booking confirmation and ticket will be emailed to both the delegate and person purchasing. If you do not receive your ticket it is most commonly caused by typing your email address incorrectly, or it is in your SPAM folder. Please check your booking carefully. It is VERY important that your school finance manager supplies your full name and PERSONAL SCHOOL email so that we are able to send you joining instructions and further details. If we only receive the ‘school office’ email address, we have found in the past that this delays information getting to you or information is not passed on.
PATTERN PACK: This course includes a Pattern Pack of 7 Patterns to take home with you.
If you have already purchased this pack then there is a reduced cost ticket. However, you MUST bring this pack with you to use on the course. If you do not have a pack you will need to purchase one on the day at the cost of £30.
If you have any queries, please email us at email@example.com, including name, your phone number and email, so that we can contact you easily.
Milton Keynes Academy, Leadenhall, Milton Keynes MK6 5LB